Monday 7 March 2011

More from the Bathroom Fitter's Guide to NLP


When asked -  in recent days, -how I am, my initial response has been to say that I am ‘suffering from ABS (Absent Builder Syndrome)’. But I have recently amended it to say that I am (or, more properly, have been – since the wanderer hath returned) experiencing ABS.

The difference –signified by my choice of works – is important. ‘Suffering’ implies I am a victim, powerless and that I am experiencing negative effects (and, yes, it has been VERY cold in the bathroom these last few mornings without a radiator, and I’m missing having showers – but it will all come good in the end, and in having safe water quite literally on tap, I am luckier than many;  so such ‘suffering’ as there has been has been temporary and very, very small beer in the greater scheme of things; not even a as big as gnat bite on an elephant!)Using the word ‘suffering’  put me, in NLP, terms at ‘effect’. ‘Experiencing’ on the other hand is a much more neutral word,  implies some choice and puts me more ‘at cause’ – i.e. in the driving seat , at least as far as managing my response to a situation is concerned. And it takes far less energy, too J

No comments:

Post a Comment