Wednesday 9 March 2011

I give up !!


Lent begins – at least for the Western Christian churches – today. And it’s a time traditionally associated with giving things up. Originally a period of fasting it now more commonly takes the form of people – often with little or no Christian conviction – giving things up. And, more often than not these are food or drink related - alcohol, chocolate, elevenses and pudding usually come near the top of the list. Some people eat more simply than usual once or twice a week and put the  money thus saved to good - often charitable - use. A few people turn the whole idea on its head and take something up – usually designed to improve their health and fitness (running, jogging, swimming all come to mind). For many it’s almost as if it’s another chance to breathe life into their comatose New Year Resolutions.

For a few days or weeks,  the question ‘what are up giving up for Lent’  becomes part of our everyday social fabric and conversation –whether or not our faith, if we subscribe to one, requires us to observe the  season.

And so it was on Saturday, at the end of a two hour samba parade (the band of which I’m  a member had been delighting the crowds in Bognor at the International Clowns Parade). Asked what I was giving up for Lent and I somewhat flippantly replied that ‘I’m giving up giving up!’ And then I got to thinking what I could usefully give up that would instantly improve my/others quality of life. Here’s my list so far:
  • ·         Not taking a lunch break
  • ·         Hanging onto books I have no real intention or realistic prospect of ever (re) reading
  • ·         Setting or accepting unrealistic deadlines
  • ·         Watching a film to the end even though I’m not enjoying it
  • ·         Not making time to walk by the sea – whatever the weather
  • ·         Buying bottled water rather than taking my own

And I’m sure there’s more to come! So, what might you choose to give up that no longer serves (if, indeed it ever did, a useful purpose in your life?)

No comments:

Post a Comment