Monday 2 August 2010

The power of words

Last week, the samba band (Bloco Fogo) of which I am a member rehearsed outside County Hall rather than at our normal indoor rehearsal space. We treated it pretty much like a normal rehearsal – going through some of our familiar grooves (that’s ‘tunes’ to the unitiated) and learning a new one from scratch. Although the venue was a little outside of the town centre – and thus away from shops, cafes and bars which might have provided an audience, we soon attracted a small crowd of interested/bemused onlookers – dog walkers, commuters, couples and families out for an early evening stroll.


And as we rehearsed –and tried out additional moves to our existing pieces, and devised some to enhance our new piece – I noticed something very interesting. I felt much more relaxed and free to express myself and launch myself into the various choreographed moves that have begun to be a hallmark of our public performances than I normally do.


(pic shows us at Rochetser Castle on 27/7/10)

And I wondered why this was. And it didn’t take me very long at all to realise that it had to do with what I was wearing and what I was thinking about what I was wearing. As this was a rehearsal – an impromptu busk if you like – rather than a scheduled performance, we were in civvies. So the richness and diversity of our band could be seen in all its glory – and I felt free just to be me and enjoy the music, the occasion and my contribution to it. When we perform, we wear a very distinctive set of clothes which, although listed on our newsletters as ‘costume’ – is effectively a uniform. At least, I recognised, that’s how I‘ve come to think of it – because, to a greater or lesser extent it is policed – with admonitions for undone top buttons and non-standard accessories, and exhortations (which a bit of me is waiting to become more than that) to buy colour co-ordinated footwear. And, for me, the word ‘uniform’ is constraining – and I recognised that this has been reflected in how I’ve approached the choreography when out performing – I do it, but without really putting myself into it because in uniform I lose that sense of self. But if I reframe it and begin to think of it as a costume, then that’s a whole new ballgame. And much more fun.

So, a useful reminder to self to choose my words – and thoughts -carefully. And that by changing them I can change my feelings for the better. And of course, anything I can do.....

No comments:

Post a Comment