Wednesday 7 July 2010

Appreciating what’s been there all along

On holiday last month I visited a number of gardens and took, as I always do at this time of year, great delight in the roses and herbaceous borders. The scent of roses and lavender, in particular, always remind me of happy childhood summers with my grandmother.

This year, however, as well as my usual 'must sees’ while visiting gardens, I’ve also taken great interest and delight in visiting kitchen/vegetable gardens – pleased with how much I can now recognise just from the leaves, and noticing different planting options and how, as well as being productive, several kitchen gardens have also been designed to make them visually appealing.

I’m sure these gardens have had kitchen gardens for as long as I’ve been visiting them – I’ve just not noticed them before. Now (and regular readers and those of you who’ve kept up with my various ‘veg talk’ entries will readily understand why) I think they’re every bit as lovely as the roses and borders.

So, what lovely things have been there for you all along that you’ve not been seeing? And how much richer are you now that you do?

One does not see anything until one sees its beauty
~ Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment