Friday 23 April 2010

Veg Talk(2)

Well – the Great Garden and Vegetable Growing Adventure continues. And with it, so does my learning. A label fell out of one of my seed trays and what I’d happily thought were leeks (and I had been a bit perturbed that they looked nothing like the picture of young leek seedlings on the packet) turned out to be spinach.



Now, the great thing is that whatever label I’d given them, they knew exactly what they were about and what they should do. These little seeds – clever things – are not at all constrained by the labels other people give them – they just set out to be the best of whatever it is they’re designed to be.


And, now that the weather and soil are both warmer I’ve transplanted some of my seedlings into raised beds. I was somewhat nervous of doing this at first – on the one hand, I knew they would soon outgrow their little seed trays and need more room – and nutrients – to develop to their full potential. But were they ready? Were they hardy enough? Was I using them outside of their comfort zone, so to speak, too soon?


There was, of course, only one way to find out.


‘All the concepts about stepping out of your comfort zone mean nothing until you decide that your essential purpose, vision and goals are more important than your self-imposed limitations ‘~ Robert White

No comments:

Post a Comment