Tuesday 6 April 2010

Veg Talk

A little over five years ago I mentioned to someone that I wanted to find a gardener to help me reclaim the wilderness that was fast becoming my garden.

Five years and a couple of false starts later the transformation is still a work in progress and, quite literally, bearing fruit. And some friends and family received Christmas gifts that bore witness to this.

A couple of weeks ago I Took the Next Step. I planted some veg seeds in seedling trays, labelled them carefully, placed them lovingly in what passes for my greenhouse and have been watering them at what I hope are regular enough intervals. Each time I do, I look for changes, for some sign of growth. With supreme effort of will I have not rooted around in what appears to be inactive soil. I have not added more seeds. I’ve just kept watering them and checking they’re warm enough. And a little bit of me has been losing hope – surely if they were going to do anything they’d have done it by now?

I was away over the weekend – so just had to let them be.

And today am ridiculously happy because some of my ‘speedy salad’ is sprouting. I have one beet plant that’s proud to show its face (I’m hoping the others will follow). The tomatoes, leeks and other veg have yet to show but I have renewed hope and a realisation that not everything will develop at the same time, and maybe not everything will develop. And some of them will – now that I’ve planted the seeds, am nurturing them appropriately and resisting the temptation to interfere.

And none of this would have happened if I hadn’t mentioned to someone that I had a vision of how things could be different – and took action. Oh, and a whole lot more besides – but you’d already worked that out for yourself, hadn’t you?

Dreams are the seeds of change. Nothing ever grows without a seed, and nothing ever changes without a dream.
Debby Boone

No comments:

Post a Comment