Saturday 1 January 2011

Happy New Year


I wonder if, like me, you’re  already beginning to tire of people asking ‘so, what New Year Resolutions have you made?’.  And when they talk about New Year Resolutions (NYRs) they do so in a sort of ‘capital letter voice’ to indicate that this is something Serious and Worthy of Consideration.

Well, I haven’t made any. I have though, made a decision. And that is not to ask anyone about their NYRs. Don’t get me wrong, I think resolutions – decisions to focus determinedly on and work to achieve specific goals can be great. And my latest newsletter shares some thoughts on how to maximise your chances of success when doing so. (If you don’t yet receive a copy automatically, let me know and I’ll happily add you to my mailing list)

But, for me, the most interesting thing right now is not what NYRs have you made – but what are your hopes and dreams for the year ahead. It’s only when you’ve got in touch with and explored that – and possibly been surprised by the result – that it makes sense to sharpen your focus. And, that way, any NYRs you do make are more likely to be linked to what you want rather than rooted in ‘should, ought and have to’s. And that seems to me to be an altogether more promising foundation for a truly Happy New year.

No comments:

Post a Comment