Monday 17 May 2010

Veg Talk 3


It’s been a funny few weeks in the veg patch.


Some plants – grown from seed and tended lovingly in my shed-cum-greenhouse, are doing really well. I harvested my first salad crop today, have the promise of more to come and a number of other, slower growing , veg have clearly taken root and are developing well.


Others again grown from seed, are looking pretty sorry for themselves (can you look pretty, and sorry for yourself?) and I’m wondering whether to let them have a bit more time/space or whether to give up on them now and replace them with something that may be more suited to the soil/my talents/the weather. I’m reluctant to give up on them – but they’re taking up valuable space that could be put to better use.


Ideas must be put to the test. That's why we make things, otherwise they would be no more than ideas. There is often a huge difference between an idea and its realisation.

Andy Goldsworthy

And then there are the young plants bought from a garden centre – I chose perfectly good looking specimens, followed the instructions to the letter. And within just a few days of planting out (again, following the instructions to the letter) they shrivelled and died.


Do not follow the ideas of others, but learn to listen to the voice within yourself. Your body and mind will become clear.




Dogen

And there are others, variously grown by me, shop bought or donated by friends – for which it’s too soon to call. So I’ll continue to nurture them and watch with interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment